Allsopp Park North Fish Pond
City Parks Conservancy partnered with Eagle Scout Troop 30 in Little Rock to bring new life to the masonry work installed around the "fish pond" at Allsopp Park North, nearest the eastern park access point.
Almost 90 years ago, the Allsopp Park pond structure was originally built by laborers employed by the Pulaski County office of the Reconstruction Finance Corporation (an independent Federal government agency) in the summer of 1933. Typically, the RFC made loans to state and municipal governments for such improvements. The RFC agency actually predates the more widely-known Works Projects Administration by a couple years.
While the Parks department does not have original design specifications, a old photograph of the "fish pond" exists from the old Arkansas Democrat newspaper from Sunday, June 18, 1933 (see below, center circle).
This natural spring-fed enclosure apparently was a relaxing location to enjoy watching a few small fish swimming about. Stop by today to take in the renovated fish pond!
Would you like to help City Parks Conservancy take on projects like the Allsopp Park North fish pond? Click HERE to learn how to support City Parks Conservancy and get involved!